Mobile Application Developer

Home » » About Android Market : Developer must know

About Android Market : Developer must know

Written By Mitul Nakum on Wednesday, May 5, 2010 | 5:33 PM

Q. Are any of you Android Developers, or simultaneously developing for iPhone AND Android.

I am starting out to develop for the iPhone just now. On the opposite side of the coin, I know several people who have been developing exclusively for the iPhone, but due to the congestion at the iPhone app store, are starting to develop for the Android as well.

Q. What have your experiences been for developing and selling your apps on the Android Market?

Developing is fairly easy. You download the SDK, Eclipse, Android plugin for Eclipse and you are in business. The SDK comes with a ton of samples including a full blown game. You really do not need the phone. In fact, I didn't see an actual G1 phone until well after my app was up on the Android Marketplace and I was curious what the experience was, so I dragged my butt over to the TMobile store.

I first developed 2 free apps. The second (called "It's not Funny") has been a pretty good success. The download numbers, considering the amount of people that own the G1, have been pretty good. Despite the fact, that the application was brain dead simple. I actually added ads to the application and so it's been a small income of $200 per month or so. Nothing to write home about, but pays for a couple of bills.

Then I developed, what I considered to be an actual useful application, at least to me (called "Better Deal") and that has been an unqualified flop. The app was 99 cents and I think to date there has been 20 purchases. On the bright side, the app is also pretty simple and didn't take long to develop. I've heard similar laments from other Android devs as well, vis a vis paid apps not selling all that well.

Q. Does Google have their act together in their app approval/deployment process?

It's $25 to get into their store, then another $20 (iirc) to enroll in Google Pay and the moment you upload the app, it is available to be downloaded and purchased. Flat out awesome. Very little bureaucracy.

Q. Are you making money?

A. From ads, not from purchases.

Q. Do you see this market as promising?

My initial enthusiasm waned a bit, as the onslaught of android phones did not happen, but I still see it as promising.

About Mitul Nakum

15+ years of experience in mobile application development which includes Symbian, J2ME, Android and iOS development

0 comments :

Post a Comment